Shek Chuen Jen, Chairman, Singapore
During a career spanning more than three decades, Mr Jen has pioneered new business units for respected financial and professional services firms across Asia Pacific. He also has led teams through some of the most devastating economic crises to hit the region over the years – from the Pan-Electric Financial Crisis in Singapore and Malaysia in late 1985, to the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis that was followed by the SARS outbreak in late 2002, and on through to the Global Financial Crisis precipitated by the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
Along the way, Mr Jen has been a Consultative Member of the Singapore Government’s Parliamentary Committees for the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Trade and Industry. His counsel blends practical wisdom with wit and humility, a personal trait that he believes every successful leader should have.
- More than 16 years’ in Executive Search. Key achievements include:
- 1996-2012: Was Senior Client Partner with Korn/Ferry International in Singapore, where he was involved primarily in CEO and CFO searches across Asia Pacific, and held a number of leadership roles for Asia Pacific and ASEAN.
- In 2000, and again in 2011, he booked two of the highest single-search fees ever collected by Korn/Ferry worldwide.
- In addition, he:
- Started the Firm’s Asian Family Business Practice;
- Was appointed Managing Director and Head of the Firm’s Asia Pacific Financial Services Practice;
- Broadened the Firm’s financial services portfolio with specialist practices in Real Estate, Private Equity and Board Services; and
- Expanded his niche to include Education.
- 20 years in corporate and investment banking, primarily with DBS and JPMorgan. Highlights include:
- 1986: Led the start-up of DBS Securities, the first bank-owned and fully corporatised member of the Singapore Stock Exchange, just one year after joining DBS Bank as Head of Corporate Finance.
- As the inaugural CEO/MD, he grew DBS Securities into a major regional player, establishing operations in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and the UK in the first decade of operations.
- 1977: Joined JPMorgan, where he worked in New York and Singapore, doing business with the major homegrown corporate groups in South-East Asia and serving as the Head of Regional Corporate Banking for Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Brunei and Burma.
- Earlier: Was a Director of Morgan Guaranty Pacific Ltd, JPMorgan’s regional merchant bank in Singapore.
- Board Directors and Committee Members
- Chief Executive Officers
- Chief Financial Officers
- Family Businesses
- Financial Services
- Real Estate Businesses
Shek Chuen Jen
Chairman, SingaporeMr Jen has pioneered new business units for top financial and professional services firms across Asia Pacific.